Friday, October 23, 2009

What I Like About You

Dear Carl,

Your birthday is today, and I am broke, so you will probably be getting a few home-made gifts. Like something knitted. And a home-made cake. And a list of thinks I like about you. *Ahem. *


There are several things that I like about you, but here are some of the best ones (that are on my mind this week):


1. You find really creative ways to tell people that you love them. We watched Juno earlier this week, and you really dug that line where the dad says, “you need to find someone who thinks the sun shines out of your ass, good mood, bad mood, whatever.” Ever since, you have been making the angels-in-heaven “ahhhh” sound when I walk by, and muffling it when I sit down.



2. The ridiculous, mismatched, but many-layered outfits in which you swaddle Wendy so she will be warm. Even if it is 70 degrees outside. Also, the way you have charmed her into being your fishing buddy, and how openly touched you are that she wants to dig up worms and hang with you.

3. You don't compromise yourself.

4. You don’t think I should compromise myself. You are even more indignant about the minor injustices of my job(s) on my behalf than I am. When you tell me that I am brilliant and talented and strong, I believe you.


5. We were watching Dirty Jobs, and you kept rewinding the part where the guy bit the lamb's testicles off over and over and over. That was really disturbing. Your maniacal giggling, though? That was cute.


6. You made this chili:


…and it is awesome.

7. We were driving around on Saturday looking at houses we wish we could afford, and when we drove down that unpaved road alongside the creek and rounded the corner, you had the same reaction to the Buddha on the log near the path that led down to the little falls that I did. It went something like: "ooooooohhh…I looooove thiiiiiiiis!" You love things that are truly, naturally beautiful. You can picture us living somewhere like this, together, and happy.




8. I like that you are with me. This shows that you have good judgement. Thank you for being here, and never being anyone but yourself.




Love,


Mo

4 comments:

  1. Aw. That was really sweet.

    Happy Birthday, Carl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice. sounds like you are going to keep him, at least another year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I also just saw his comment on your profile.
    If we're going to be poor, we might as well be drunk.

    too bad yall don't live closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha-yes. At least another year. (Internet cheers to you!)

    ReplyDelete