Tuesday, June 21, 2005

You know what's great?

Money. I love money. I love making it, I love saving it. I love spending it even more, but I can't have all three of these things at the same time, so making it and saving it will suffice for now. I have actually opened a savings account. My "total assets" slot is now a sum of two numbers, not just a redundancy reflecting the thirty-eight cents that I have left in my checking account after paying my cell phone bill. How great is that? Very.

The inherent drawback to all of this is, of course, that I actually have to save it. That I take the wad of tips in my pocket and stick it in the bank at the end of the day, instead of blowing it on nine fruit-and-walnut salads, a matching seat/steering wheel cover set from Wal-Mart and a Victoria's Secret shopping spree, like I want to. And I have to keep my grubby mitts off of e-bay. And out of the yarn store.

It also requires that I keep working. Having a small stash of cash totally gives me all this false sense of security, which in turn makes me all beligerant when work is especially slow. I start thinking things like "I could be at home, reading my book right now," or "I could be frollicking through the park with my nephew, or my boyfriend, or...or...that girl's dog. What a cute dog. Here, puppy, puppy!" Especially this week, as I am working 11-8 every day. (thanks a lot, boss.)

Yeah. It seems you can either have time or money, but not both.

No comments:

Post a Comment